The labeling of organic products:
We mention below three indications provided by the EEC Reg. N° 2092/91:
a) Product from organic agriculture: this category includes the products in which at least 95% of the agricultural ingredients (salt and water excluded) are from organic agriculture. The remaining quota must be from ingredients listed in Annex VI (part A for ingredients from non-agricultural origin; part B for the processing additives; part C for ingredients from conventional agriculture). Only the labels belonging to this category of products may include the phrase (optional): “Organic Agriculture – Control Regime E.E.C.”, accompanied by the Communitarian logo. Wine and vinegar belong also to this category; their labels may include the phrase: “produced with grapes from organic agriculture”, but not the one: “wine/vinegar from organic agriculture”.
b) “XX% from organic agriculture: this category includes the products with at least 70% of the agricultural ingredients produced following the method of organic farming. The remaining quota must be from ingredients listed in the Annex VI. The indications regarding the method of organic agriculture must be written in the list of ingredients with the same color, size and type of letter as the rest. The following phrase must be also included: “XX% of the agricultural ingredients have been produced following the standards for organic production”.
c) “Product in conversion to organic farming”: these are the products obtained during the conversion period from conventional to organic agriculture. The product must have only one ingredient from agricultural origin.
- The standards for the labeling of the products from organic agriculture are added to the ones already existing for the respective conventional products.
- Article 10 of the EEC Reg. N° 2092/91 vetoes the adding to the indications of conformity to the method of organic production, any attribution of guarantee of superior organoleptic, nutritional or hygienic quality.
- It can be reported instead, any indication about the method of organic production (for example: the organic product does not use G.M.O. Products, that it is respectful of the environment and the animal and plant biodiversity).
- The reference to the organic production method can be reported in the product description or the list of ingredients, having in mind that the only use of the term “organic” in the selling denomination is not allowed because the indication refers to the method of production ( for example: “fruit from organic agriculture”, but not “organic fruit”).
- It is mandatory the indication of the agency of control which has done the controls and the certification. According to the D.L. N° 220/95, it must be reported: Name of the Agency of Control and its Ministerial Authorizations; Authorization code for the printing of the labels given by the Agency of Control .