Lemon is a remontant product and for every flowering corresponds a commercial kind of fruit, therefore, according to the period of harvest, we have: "primofiore" - from the end of September to the end of November; "wintry" - from December to April; "bianchetti" - between April and May; "verdelli" - between June and the beginning of September. Italian lemon, if we exclude particular zones where favourable microclimated conditions made it possible (Lazio, Puglia, Basilicata), it is almost exclusively cultivated in Sicily, Calabria and Campania.
Description of product and characteristics
Lemon of third flowering, citrus fruit with elliptic form and of light green color, it presents a middle juiciness and with high acidity enough.
Lemon Verdello derives instead from a particular technique of cultivation, that allows to delay the flowering of the plant whose fruit matures in fact from May to September, and it is particularly present in Sicily.
The peel is light green color, very fine and middle thickness. In comparison to Primofiore, also maintaining a good taste, it possesses a less juicy pulp and less acidity. The characteristic of resistance of these fruits makes them particularly proper for long distance forwardings.
- Period: From July to October
- Origin: Sicily - Italia
- Form: elliptic or spheroidical, big sizes
- Peel: from light green to dark green
- Pulp: juicy and acidity less elevated than "Primofiore". Yellow color
- Juice: yellow citrine color
- Weight of fruits: above 100 gr.
- Caliber: 3, 4, 5
- Packings: In Bins, in net, in box, with leaves
- Manufacturing: with and without leaves