Sahanala is an "Economic interest Group", which gathers within a single unique platform: producers, aware of organic farming and engaged in sustainable agriculture; private operators, who are environmental friendly and aware of equitable sharing; and associations, engaged in the process of participatory conservation. With a diversified product line, Sahanala allows small producers, who live and work in or around protected areas managed by a NGO called Fanamby, to position themselves in the market, thus lowering excess and pressure on the environment. These associations and cooperatives respect and follow transparent and traceable eco-friendly processes that focus on:
- the improved structure of the cooperatives and associations by moving towards a fair trade approach,
- sustainable agriculture respectful of the environment, rural development and consumers’ health
- the sales and marketing structure of the local producers,
- the relationship between tourism and rural agriculture,
- sustainable ecological management by reserving a percentage of the sales to biodiversity conservation activities of the protected areas managed by its partner NGO Fanamby,
- a strong understanding between local producers, distributors, consumers and every stakeholders involved in conservation.
Farmers, members of Sahanala, market several types of products under the label. All products come from protected areas; they are all respectful of biodiversity and are produced by using sustainable farming practices and a fair redistribution of the funds/income per household.
Sahanala’s biological products are raw or processed agricultural products from:
- Anjozorobe Angavo protected area: fresh ginger, ginger powder and wild pepper
- Loky Manambato protected area: vanilla
In its innovative approach to enhance community work, Sahanala prioritizes women's employment. For the community-based association working in unit packaging and processing products Sahanala employs 42 women out a total of 50. When you are buying from Sahanala, you are buying from over 3000 farmers that own and work on vanilla plantations. All proceeds are used for sustaining the livelihoods of these farmers.
Sahanala Madagaskar offers you products from these product groups:
- Grocery products Cooking and baking (2333)
- Grocery products Snacks and sweets (1374)
- Raw materials, supplies (635)
- Special characteristics of our products (2575)
- We are (2601)