3. ABOUT US
Based in Cobán, the north of Guatemala, FEDECOVERA -Federation of Cooperatives of the Verapaces- is an autonomous second level cooperative founded on February 23rd 1976; leaded by small producers organized in first level cooperatives and associations.
FEDECOVERA takes its origin from the Q’eqchi and Poqomchi cultures which belong to the Ancestral Mayan Culture. Since 1976 FEDECOVERA empower its associated cooperatives by enforced their integration system which allows them to consolidate the processes under the concept of PRODUCTIVE CHAINS; from the past, present and future we have been committed to the cooperative families with shared benefits through effective supply chain that allows them to:
- Ensure a sustainable supply of high quality products which benefits both producers and consumers.
- Promote sustainable production practices that maintain and increase biodiversity and crop diversification..
- Train small farmers to develop prosperous and productive communities.
- Ensure traceability into their production processes.
- Incorporate into all policies three essential components: SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL.
The main activity of our associated cooperatives is the production of cardamom, allspice, coffee, black tea, cocoa, black pepper, turmeric, essential oils, basic grains, vegetables and sustainable forestry development.
FEDECOVERA has contributed to create a positive economic environment in order to improve the livelihoods of thousands of small producers.
Our results are spoken:
- 8 products: cardamom, allspice, coffee, cocoa, turmeric, black pepper, black tea, essential oils and sustainable forestry.
- 1st Organic Cardamom and Allspice producer and exporter in the world.
- Global business experience, exporting to the 5 continents.
- 2 Industrialization plants: located in the City of Cobán, Alta Verapaz estate and El Rancho Village, El Progreso state.
- 33000 producing families gathered in 43 cooperatives and more than 21 associations.
- Consequently FEDECOVERA takes care of more than 180000 persons.
Our four values:
- Human livelihoods as a focus: We act for the Human well-being.
- Earth and Nature as a gift: We protect and improve the environment and the biodiversity.
- Customer as a partner: We deliver satisfaction in order to build a very-long-term relationship.
- Integrity, Fairness and Independence as guidelines: We always strive to do the right things, independently.
Our three engagements:
- Propose high-quality products and services.
- Build a bridge between producers and customers.
- Act for better living conditions.