Milénico is an organic, artisanal and family winery of the DO Ribera del Duero. Our wines are created with the belief that wine is made in the vineyard and that minimal intervention helps to better express the wine´s original variety (Tempranillo-Tinto Fino), place and vintage.
- Only state-grown fruit, a combination of old vines (50 to 100 years old) with others planted in the 1990´s with no irrigation
- Sandy soils with a marked calcareous influence that naturally limits yields, and natural ventilation at altitudes of 750 to 900 meters above sea level.
- No chemical fertilizers and no herbicides, vineyards are organically farmed and certified.
- Harvested by hand and vinified in 2500-3000 liter vats with spontaneous fermentation with indigenous yeasts.
- Released in average 3-5 years after harvest, which provides added complexity and elegance
- Annual production is 1.500 cases (18.000 bottles).
Milénico has more than 20 hectares of vineyards distributed in more than 15 plots located within a radius of 15 kms, between San Martin de Rubiales, Roa de Duero and Fuentemolinos, with vineyards between 20 and 100 years old from different clones of the Tempranillo variety, in our area known as Tinto Fino.
The vineyards are located either on the slopes on the right bank of the Duero, on slopes of about 20% on average, with a perfect insolation and natural ventilation, or in the páramos (highlands) that surround the valley, at an altitude of about 900 meters.
The soils are poor in organic matter and with a strong proportion of sand which makes them very suitable for the vineyard. Due to the sedimentary character of the valley, we have a great heterogeneity of soils, with soils with alternating dominance of limestones, clays and sands, with and without stone and pebbles. The vineyards do not have artificial irrigation, which together with low rainfall naturally limits yields. The harvest is manual and a double manual selection of the grape is made, in the vineyard and in the winery. The grapes in the cellar are cooled, which allows us to cold macerate before starting the alcoholic fermentation with native yeasts.
Our entire grape comes from vineyards that were either planted by our family, or taken care of by us for many years. They follow the same organic practices of sustainable cultivation and a part of them have organic certification. In this way we minimize the tillage and maintain organic cover when rainfall allows. We do not use herbicides, pesticides or chemical fertilizers, which allows the vineyard to be surrounded by a more complex natural environment, varied and alive, stronger and healthier in a natural way.
The fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks of 3,000 liters capacity and in 500 liter barrels, which allows controlling individually the evolution of the grapes from multiple small plots. The process of cold maceration and fermentation usually takes about 4 weeks and later, all the wines carry out the malolactic fermentation, part in 225-liter barrels and the rest in steel tanks. Ageing is done with new and used French oak barrels from 225 liters to 500 liters for periods of between 12 and 24 months.
We have 3 red wines, Milénico, Valdepila and Dos Mundos, and a Rosado, also Dos Mundos from the juice of red wines (saignée).
• Dos Mundos, from the slopes of Rodero and Solapeña, in vineyards over 20 years old and aged in barrels of at least 12 months.
• Valdepila, from the "valley" of the same name, midway between the Duero Valley and the páramos (highlands), with vineyards of about 30 years. It is aged, with a minimum barrel stay of 12 months.
• Milénico, from vineyards between 25, 50 y 100 years old, located in Roa de Duero and Fuentemolinos, and from the slopes in San Martín de Rubiales closest to the Duero, just 100 meters from the river. Depending on the vintage, ageing in barrels goes from 22 to 24 months.