INSECT RESPECT® is the world’s first seal of quality for a new way of dealing with insects. In cooperation with dedicated companies, INSECT RESPECT is creating insect-friendly areas on company grounds. Is your company a place of diversity?
INSECT RESPECT® offers services on 2 levels:
1. Partner areas for companies from all industries. Firms looking to offer insects a new habitat on their premises as well as green their grounds will find a trusted partner in INSECT RESPECT.
INSECT RESPECT® areas have proven to increase local biodiverstiy and make a contribution to social sustainability: They are established in residential and industrial areas where they contribute to the quality of life for locals. Whenever possible, the areas are designed and maintained by employees and/or in cooperation with social organisations (e.g. social housing, long-term unemployed).
2. Compensation areas for manufacturers and distributors of biocidal products. As insects are beneficial to society, the guiding principles for insect control are: 1. Avoidance and reduction, 2. greening, and 3. offsetting insect control and the promotion of insects.
The INSECT RESPECT® seal of quality guarantees to offset insect loss caused by biocidal products using a scientific model. Consumers can therefore be assured that control and conservation are in balance. The first compensation areas in the form of green roofs were established in Bielefeld (Germany) and Gais (Switzerland).
INSECT RESPECT® increases public awareness of the value of insects, especially with consumers (through publications, film, events, exhibitions, augmented reality, community building, NGO projects). These awareness measures underline 10 good reasons to respect insects:
1. Resilience: Insects provide nature with more resistance.
2. Pollination: Insects keep plants alive.
3. Ecosystem: Insects are an important part of the food chain.
4. Food: Insects ensure the world has food.
5. Hygiene: Insects relieve us of „rubbish“.
6. Soils: Insects make our soils fertile.
7. Clothing: Insects are essential for textile production.
8. Industry: Insects produce chemicals.
9. Medicine: Insects can heal and pollinate medicinal plants.
10. Research: Insects are extremely valuable scientifically.
INSECT RESPECT® has received numerous awards, including the WirtschaftsWoche “Entrepreneurial Heart”. It has also been nominated for the ZEIT Wissen prize in the category “Action”, awarded with the International Energy Globe Award and with the Swiss Ethics Award, was in the top 3 at the Kyocera Environmental Prize in the category “Biodiversity, Nature and Water Protection” and in the top 10 of the GreenTec Awards 2016 in the “Lifestyle” category.