Our almond oil is made in California. Around 80% of all almonds are harvested there between September and October. Our Caloy production unit in Modesto, California is the world’s largest producer of almond oil. Our team of agricultural engineers is in daily contact with the farmers in order to select only the highest quality almonds when procuring the raw materials. In 2016 our new oil mill was put into operation. The expeller presses were developed and built especially for us in Germany to produce nut oils. The crude oil is obtained by gentle mechanical pressing. We work without additional pressing additives.
After pressing, refining takes place in our own specialty refinery, which was expanded in 2017. Only nut oils are processed here. Mixing with other products is thus impossible. We refine at low temperatures and thus preserve all important vitamins and naturally occurring plant substances contained in the oil. The quality control is carried out completely by our 6-stage system:
- By our agricultural engineers in the field
- By our own Caloy laboratory by receipt of the almonds
- After pressing to oil
- In-process controls at each individual refining step
- Final check of the oil after refining
- Before delivery to the customer by our officially DIN ISO 17025 accredited Gustav Heess Laboratory in Germany.
The obtained refined almond oil is a light yellow, light liquid oil with a pleasant, slightly nutty taste of almonds and a characteristic smell.